American hypocrisy Re: In Praise of Communism

From: Ernest N. Prabhakar (ernest@alumni.caltech.edu)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 21:40:59 PST

I think this raises an interesting point.

You can blame Americans for being too compassionate, and trying too hard to
impose their morality, values, and economy on everyone else.

You can blame Americans for being too selfish, and exploiting everyone in
the world and not caring what happens to them.

What really surprises me is how many people seem to blame America for both.

Frankly, helping people (whether its simply deciding whether to buy a
homeless person a bag of groceries) is always fraught with moral perils, and
I actually think it healthy that America tends to have both kinds of
problems.

True, there are a some clearly objectionable actions (like perhaps the
Guatemala incident), but on the whole the problems are largely due to a)
trying to balance self-interest and altruism, b) ethno-centric thinking
(which everyone is guilty of), and c) the intractable nature of the problem.

From my perspective, the only unforgiveable sin is not even wrestling with
the problem, which is what the more vitriolic America-bahsers seem to be
advocating.

-- Ernie P.

Ernest N. Prabhakar, Ph.D.
ernest@drernie.com