Nasdaq 5000 just 5% away...

From: Adam Rifkin -4K (adam@XeNT.ics.uci.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 22:08:52 PST

I occasionally post these when I pop my head up from the gopherhole just
to remind myself that

 (1) Everyone still truly believes in the stock market, and therefore
 (2) The mania will keep on going for the foreseeable future.

You had to see the looks on the faces of the thousand attendants of
Garage.com's Entrepreneur Boot Camp this week -- they were all
singleminded, true believers ready to go out and kill or die for the
opportunity to plant their flag in the ground.

Garage.com is certainly doing its part: 9500 business plans reviewed
last year, 60 plans funded. After seeing the successes of companies
like CMGi and Kleiner Perkins and Softbank and idealab (first wave), and
now companies like Garage.com and LoudCloud and ePhibian and eBuilt
(second wave), I get the feeling that 10,000 "Vanity Venture Capital
Funds" will pop up over the next five years with every decimillionaire
and higher contributing funds to kitties to seed all kinds of ideas
starting up. As long as the "virtuous cycle" continues where everyone
keeps pumping most of the proceeds back into the system, the system
could last for a *very* long time. After all, tulipmania lasted in
Holland for nearly four decades before finally collapsing in 1637.

Of course, our stock market is truly nuts. Stocks regularly double in
just a week or two. (The biotech index alone is up nearly 100% in the
past three months, and that's an *index*.) Sometimes the stocks are
legitimate turnaround stories like Information Architects (IARC), which
has twenty bagged in about a half a year now that their story is crisper
thanks to excellent public relations where there were none before. I
admire that kind of rising-like-the-phoenix.

Then there are companies climbing into corporate shells like
Xcelera.com, whose Mirror Image technology was recently embraced by
George Gilder. The 52-week low on XLA is less than a dollar. Today it
closed at 352. That's a five hundred bagger in less than a year, for
those keeping track at home. With a P/E ratio of 3057, it will only
take Xcelera three millennia to make its current market cap in profits
(roughly $9.3 billion). Another reverse-merger stock, Sensar (SCII),
which I've mentioned here before, is running again on the hype of its
Net2Wireless brand name, though sadly it has only fifty-bagged in a
year, and its PE is a mere 162, which is less than Cisco's PE of 181.
Think about that, it will take almost 200 years of Cisco's current
earnings to make its current market cap -- roughly $450 billion. Cisco
is threatening to pass Microsoft's market cap ($473 billion) and become
"the most valuable company in the world", though it's hard to tell which
company will be the first to have a market cap of $1 trillion: one of
those two, or maybe Nokia, AOL/Time Warner, or perhaps even Worldcom if
they buy, say, Mannesman and Akamai. My bet for the first trillion
dollar company is Softbank, which currently is worth $210 billion; if it
doubles again, Msr. Son will be worth more on paper than Bill Gates.

Spinoffs are getting to the point of insanity. 3Com is raising nearly a
billion dollars by spinning off Palm tomorrow -- a company it only
ACQUIRED three years ago in the U.S. Robotics merger that tanked its
stock. 3Com's stock was selling as low as $20 a share last year but it
hit almost $120 a share today on news of this spinoff -- the worst part
is, that obnoxious Metcalfe fellow probably still owns shares. Of
course, acquisitions-cum-spinoffs are speeding up nowadays: CMGi bought
AltaVista in June for $2.2 billion and is spinning it off for $4 billion
sometime in the next month or two. That's entertainment. It's getting
to the point that a stock that has a bunch of crappy financials spins
off the part with the crappy financials (like, say, Sprint PCS),
because the companies that do best in a market such as this are the ones
with no earnings (they're "investing in growth"). Last year Hewlett
Packard finally got a clue and spun off Agilent, which has since
tripled; now Lucent, which ITSELF is a spinoff, finally got a clue and
is planning on pulling *its* stock out of the crapper by spinning off
its "slower moving division" (see the attachment below).

So the bubble could expand for a very long time to come. Three years,
five years, maybe ten years or more. Retail investors keep buying the
dips and wholesale buyers and sellers are making a fortune off the
aggregate. The Nasdaq is within spitting distance of 5000 (see below)
-- it's just a matter of time before it passes the Dow at this rate.

Garage.com is particularly savvy: collect a thousand bucks from a
thousand attendees at a time (though we .edu attendees got away at a
mere $300 a pop), get all these popular law and accounting firms to fund
the food and tschotsches, bring on all kinds of lawyers and VCs and
angels and entrepreneurs to motivate and inspire and encourage with
their lectures and panels, and then sit back and take your pick of the
best groups to submit their plans to you in search of incubation.
Kawasaki is an amazing salesman, and Garage.com like many dot coms is in
the business of selling its stock: they recently filed their S-1 and
will go public in the spring. Unfortunately they, like other paper
centimillionaires will have to wait until their lockup period ends
before they can become liquid and retire. Fortunately there's lots of
work to be done between now and then, because when you're in the
business of selling your stock, you gotta ABC: Always Be Closing.

And I'm telling you, watching the sheep at Garage.com's Boot Camp,
EVERYONE has the bug and everyone has it bad. Work hard, the theory
goes, and you too can get rich quick: it's like everyone has memorized
all the words to the movie Wall Street just like the frat boys in the
movie Boiler Room sitting in front of their big screen television
reciting Michael Douglas' and Charlie Sheen's lines.

It's helpful to remember that just in mid October the Nasdaq Composite
was around 2600, and now it's almost at 4800. A hundred newsletters
like the one below make the average person think that they too can own a
little bit of the entrepreneur's dream if they manage to catch a ride on
a hot stock. Or two. Or a dozen. Or more.

The inflation in certain stocks in the market seems to dovetail the
inflation in certain real estate in the country. Between their homes,
their 401k's, and their portfolios, people *feel* richer. They really
do. Engineers no longer suffer at startups: in addition to equity they
can get six-figure salaries in *cash*. It really is an unbelievably
great time in America to be an entrepreneur -- I'm not sure
opportunities like this have ever existed to this extent before.

And there's a new upper class rising in society: the technological
elite. It really is shifting the power structure, and you can feel it:
lawyers, accountants, bankers, and finance guys know that they can no
longer call all of the shots, because the techies now have money and
lots of it. It's like our ultimate revenge for all the years of
suffering being a nerd causes to oneself in one's formative years when
one's peers are far less accepting of technical savvy. I wonder what
we'll think about the year 2000 in ten or twenty years. I wonder what
seeds for the future are being planted today. I am *really* curious to
know how this will all play out.

Who knows. Sometimes it's best to keep the blinders on.

And maybe, just maybe, greed *is* good...

----
Adam@4K-Associates.com

The few, the proud, the obsessed. -- Slogan of Garage.com's Bootcamp for Startups, printed at www.iprint.com