Re: please help FreeNet by becoming a node

From: Mok-Kong Shen (mok-kong.shen@t-online.de)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 15:07:17 PST

Eugene Leitl wrote:

[snip]
> http://freenet.sourceforge.net/
[snip]

In a couple of points the description given there seems not very
clear for me. There is a stack at each node. A case is described
where a somewhat latent (no longer directly stored at the node)
piece of information is acquired from another node and becomes
the top of the stack, while the other elements of the stack get
pushed down one place. Since the stack is of finite size, it could
happen that some element gets eliminated thereby from the stack,
being pushed out of the bottom. Wouldn't it be conceivable that
certain piece of information gets removed in this manner not
only from one single node but also from all other nodes that have
had it on their stacks and thus vanishes from the whole system?
The text further says 'Any person can publish information .....'.
It is not clear whether one has to have one's own node for
publishing or is there going to be some special login convention
to the nodes run by others. Finally, the total storage of all
nodes at a specific time point is certainly finite. Wouldn't it be
susceptable to the 'denial of service' attack, in that someone
flood the system with informations?

I have very probably not correctly understood the system
description and should appreciate obtaining explanations to
the above.

M. K. Shen
------------------------------
P.S. Since quite a time I haven't been able to post to
coderpunks@toad.com, all mails got returned, including one to
the postmaster. Since coderpunks is one among the many groups
given on the original post of Mr. Leitl, I first (for test
purposes) tried to post the above to coderpunks only. As (almost)
to be expected from the very beginning, it returned with the
following error message that is now quite familiar to me:

  coderpunks@toad.com:
    SMTP error from remote mailer after initial connection:
    host toad.com [140.174.2.1]:
    451 timeout waiting for input during server cmd read:
    retry timeout exceeded

The present post is send consequently to all groups given on
Mr. Leitl's post (including coderpunks). Perhaps someone
reading this would be kind enough to explain this rather strange
phenomenon to me. Thanks in advance.