RE: WSJ on the VeriSign/Network Solutions merger

From: Mark Day (mday@sightpath.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 19:17:59 PST

> If I had $21 billion laying around, I'm not sure Network Solutions is
> the company I would buy, being as I could buy Microstrategy or Inktomi
> for that price, or Akamai, Exodus, or Infospace if I were willing to pay
> a little more... and since VeriSign is paying stock only, what's the
> real cost in printing up a few more pieces of paper anyhow?

All of those other names are just regular companies, although certainly ones
with good prospects. Network Solutions is the only company I can think of
that combines the explosive growth potential of the Internet with a
government-sanctioned monopoly for 3-7 years. That seems pretty compelling.

Not that I like the company -- every time we try to register a domain name
they screw up -- but from a purely financial angle I can see the attraction.

--Mark