Re: How to end traffic congestion

From: Alexander Blakely (xander@speakeasy.org)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 10:50:39 PST

I know this may be beating a dead horse, but I think your solution is not the
most politically viable solution.

In your quick dismissal of the 'Lexus Lane' solution, you assume that Americans
are motivated by envy. Russians are motivated by envy (trust me on this one);
Americans are motivated by greed. Americans don't revolt against first-class
sections on airplanes. Sure, it is mostly rich people who fly first class. But
the average American can treat himself to a nice flight every so often. More
importantly, every American harbors the dream of becoming rich one day. The
first class seats and Lexus lanes serve not as insults to the poor and
middle-class, but rather, as infrequent rewards and frequent incentives.

Also, Americans are a very skeptical bunch when it comes to 'free lunch' offers,
which, I'm afraid, your negative toll during off hours feels like. The average
American isn't going to assume, "Wow, I'm going to make a lot of money while I
drive." There are too many late night TV adds promising the unemployed "Make
money while you watch TV." Or something similarly ricockulous. Disregarding P.T.
Barnum's wisdom, I think that most Americans would feel their intelligence
insulted by a plan that promises to 'pay' them to drive.

Another problem: You're taking away a free good. Driving is a free good right
now (unless you count car payments, insurance, gasoline, taxes, maintenance,
etc.). But once the driver is on the road, there is almost no marginal cost
except gasoline. Your plan would get rid of all 'free' lanes, and replace them
with toll roads. Trying to take away free goods (even if they are not really
free) from people is not an easy prospect. The British have 'free' national
health care. They pay the heavy eternality of waiting in line--often for
weeks--just to see their doctor. They complain about it a lot, just as Americans
complain about traffic. But there is no way Parliament is going to discontinue
the national health plan. There would be a revolt. Britons would take to the
streets demanding their right to free medical services (and long lines).

Therefore, I really think Lexus lanes are the most politically expedient
solution. They offer the driver a choice (something fundamental to capitalism):
pay the price to get into the fast lane or due the time in the 'free' lanes. If
you are worried about the polarizing effects of having Lexus lanes and 'free'
lanes, then take the airline analogy one step further. On major highways,
introduce a three-tiered system: free lanes, fixed-toll lanes, and variable-toll
lanes. That way the drivers feels empowered to make the choices that best
reflect his own time/money tradeoff.

X...