Re: Critical Decisions

From: Steve Nordquist (
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 21:04:05 PST

> > Books don't need batteries, and if properly cared for, they will still be
> > usable in 500 years. Browned, foxed, brittle, perhaps, but still quite
> Only if printed on acid-free paper. Many books from the 1960s are by
> now essentially unusable.

What was the J.C. Lilly Paper & Fiber Products Corporation thinking?
I hope that 'digital toner' gets at least that fun.

> Well, I have a library of, what?, ~5000 books. Unfortunately, it is
> unusable

Right; we postliterate people have given up chopping off spines
and feeding exactly 7 pages at a time (then flipping same) to
out ScanMakerX6 with ADR (....) becaise the DC06, featured in ID
Magazine just now, comes with an option to scan as it sucks and
you just put it in the library and empty the canisters from tome
to tome; it's quite filmic.

Look! Java 2 in 27 seconds! You can tell it's a proof by
the way the CD shatters.