Re: Project Gutenberg markup

From: Edd Dumbill (edd@usefulinc.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 07:19:45 PST

On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 08:32:54AM -0500, Kragen Sitaker wrote:
> It sure would be nice to have documents in a better-than-ASCII format.
> Something like setext (http://www.bsdi.com/setext/) would be just great
> --- looks fine as ASCII, yet its conventions carry more information.
>
> We'd have to come up with a setext variant suitable for novels and
> other books, though, and I'm not convinced the same markup can
> reasonably be used for texts as different as the King James Bible,
> Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra, The Adventures of Sherlock
> Holmes, and Webster's Dictionary, all of which are in PG today.

Related Gutenberg in XML bits:

http://xmlhack.com/read.php?item=268
http://www.hwg.org/opcenter/gutenberg/

Currently debate is continuing on the XML-DEV list about appropriateness
of various DTDs vs. making a new one (to use TEI or not). Archives of
the discussion can be gotten from http://www.egroups.com/lists/xml-dev/

--
Edd Dumbill, Managing Editor, XML.com, XMLhack.com