Re: MailDAV

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 14:33:37 PST

Hell, yes. :-) I'd go one further: not only is it not necessary for every mime
type / application set to have its own protocol, I firmly have come to believe
--- in part because of what I saw going on in the IETF --- that a *minimalist*
HTTP, perhaps with just "GET," would be sufficient for anything. I used to
argue the "protocol per application domain point-of-view. Argued for protocols
that were *like* HTTP but *weren't* HTTP. I've come to believe I was entirely
wrong!

With HTTP, you've got a generic request-response system --- i.e., message
passing. Message passing is provably sufficient for anything computable. But
wait, there's more! With "servers" on both ends, you can have callbacks, so you
can do asynchronous stuff. With XML and something like XML-RPC, you've got a
typed RPC mechanism and on-the-wire object format. You want objects? Fine,
build an interface repository and reflection on top of that. Need events,
building a peer-to-peer buddy list? Bidirectional HTTP operations on specified
interfaces, clients as HTTP microservers, and switchboard semantics implemented
as a Web application.

The point is, despite any religion and / or ulterior motives driving particular
IETF or other efforts, we've *got* the technology necessary to build open,
interoperable applications of arbitrary kinds. The standardization of things at
the *application* level should not --- and does not, except by the poor choices
of application developers --- necessitate having new protocols for everything.

The punchline to all of this is, I actually think DAV is rather an abortion.
Ick. The more crap like that we cram into our star protocol, the less tenable
it becomes.

This kind of stuff should live above the wire, indeed, above HTTP. If all
distributed systems can be implemented in terms of RPC, and HTTP provides a
*standard* and rather friendly RPC just with GET, and XML provides the
marshalling format, then why re-invent the wheel? It's purely an ego and
competitive game. The only good argument --- performance, etc. --- isn't too
convincing to me these days. Simplicity and speed of implementation trumps.

jb