Re: Fwd: Napster hack allows free distribution of software, movies

From: Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 17:04:02 PST

Adam L. Beberg writes:

> Arg, not this again.

Yessss.

> For 10 points each find and reveal the huge flaws in the freenet design.
> Feel free to cite the wheels freenet is re-re-[re-*]inventing.

Sure it's full of flaws, I've been one of the several to point out a
few. However,

a) critique is cheap, grunt coding is not. They're doing pretty
   well for a 3-part-time-programmer team.
b) their specs are not so braindead, and certainly expandable
c) it doesn't matter how braindead it is, as long as it works and
   people will be using it. See *apster.

> Computer science departments need to make geek history part of their
> required coursework. Copying something that doesn't work seems to be the
> in thing. It didn't work then, it doesn't work now, and it won't work
> next time either.

Well, Napster seems to work. And it's making every possible single
design error you could imagine (central server, no anonymity, distinct
traffic port and pattern, all in clear).