Re: Fwd: Napster hack allows free distribution of software, movies

From: Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 16:51:53 PST

Ka-Ping Yee writes:

> ...and a Java run-time so you can run the Java server program.
>
> Oh, wait. Which version of Java? Which class libraries?

Kaffe doesn't work, but will, supposedly, some day. Sun's Super Duper
Guaranteed 110% Intergalactic HotSpicy Java supposedly does. There is
a rudimentary Liberator thingie written in Perl out there. Things
Python are being contemplated.

> Which edition of the Java Platform? Which JVM? I have to do a
> 21-megabyte download and install all this with administrator
> privileges -- and then it might not work because i happened to
> pick the wrong JVM? Forget it... too much trouble.

Just what I said, and I bitched about it bitterly. Portability,
shmortability. But if you happen to have Jabbah already installed:

eugene.leitl@lrz:~/download/freenet > l
total 80
drwxr-xr-x 12 eugene.l users 3072 Mar 6 18:32 Freenet
-rw-r--r-- 1 eugene.l users 77012 Mar 5 23:55 Freenet-20000306.tgz

> Just pass me a small tar of the C source code when it's ready.

Amen.