Re: digital cameras (was RE: Ernie and Sandhya get hitched)

From: Ciamac Cyrus Moallemi (ciamac@alum.mit.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 08:29:52 PST

At 10:01 3/29/2000, you wrote:
>I want to buy a top-of-the-line digital camera. I'm in Hong Kong now, and
>so want to compare the prices here with what buy.com offers. Is there any
>consensus on what the best camera is? I'll be switching to W2K in the next
>couple weeks from NT 4.0, so I believe a USB hookup will be sufficient.

Top-of-the-line would be the Nikon D1:
http://www.nikonusa.com/products/detaild1.cfm?id=285
http://photo.askey.net/articles/nikond1/
A serious camera: large CCD, fully interchangable lenses, supports all
current Nikon lenses, fully manual operation, can use IBM Microdrive,
firewire, rapidly becoming camera of choice for professional
photojournalists. Also costs ~$5K. Given the price, it may be hard to
appreciate that this camera has caused a minor revolution in high end
digital photography. Kodak and Canon had routinely been selling cameras
with less functionality for 2 or 3 times as much.

Less stratospherically priced, the Nikon Coolpix 990 or Olympus C2500 seem
to be at the top of the pile. You can read reviews:
http://photo.askey.net/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/