spotless

From: Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@endtech.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 10:44:02 PST

Also at Sun Labs yesterday, I got to see several other of their Dot productions playing
on companies' fears that they are missing out on the dot com revolution.
My favorite is the movie poster of the woman swimming with the dot
coming up out of the blue to eat her in a very Jaws like fashion. Too
funny.

One of the other neat things is the spotlees Java virtual machine
listed off the Forest page at Sun Labs. It's a KJava virtual
machine that is a special research version of the KVM for Palm
that has the following special features:

  Transparence persistence - I am assuming throught he forest file systems (bravo!)
  The ability to beam *running* programs between Palms - The first thing I could think
        of was what game can I put onto here that I can take advantage of that. Pokemon Stadium/
        Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, and Silver are the best candidates I can think of that have
        controlled back and forth gameplay, or Pong if the beaming is fast enough.
  Extended heap space (64k to several MB) - about time...
  Compacting exact garbage collection.

Spotless is dowloadable from
http://www.sun.com/research/forest/
http://www.sun.com/research/spotless/