SEC's Net-snooping

From: Antoun Nabhan (anabhan@law.harvard.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 08:05:10 PST

This came via Wired's columnist Declan McCullough's Politechbot list, but
it was written by the Libertarian Party and actually presents a pretty
balanced picture of the unresolved legal issues.

The things that the SEC currently does to monitor the markets for fraud and
insider trading are already very spooky. They maintain a huge database of
people who might be insiders at various companies or - and this is one
freaky part - have professional or personal connections with insiders. They
also use pattern-recognition algorithms to detect unusual and possibly
fraudulent trading behaviors. They've literally found and indicted waiters
who traded after overhearing company officers talking about market-moving
events at dinner. Securities lawyers to whom I've spoken are all pretty
much of the opinion that the SEC has an omniscient ability to figure out
which traders are naughty and which are nice.

It's unsettling to think that they might apply this same ability over the
domain of the Internet instead of just the domain of market clearing systems.