Re: "Bill makes all the important decisions here."

Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 20:48:47 -0500 (EST)

Mike Masnick writes:
> Which brings up the problem I didn't address, but you have brought up
> inadvertantly: How the fuck do companies make money if they should be
> giving away their product?

Hmmm... I can't recall when the marginal cost of even large software
products, in terms of media, was anywhere near $100.00, but software
is routinely sold for far more. Some of this is the cost of support
services --- but then again, it isn't hard to find software packages
distributed over the net for four-figure sums for which support will
set you back even more.

I suppose one could argue that the market simply hasn't had time to
equilibrate...

rst