Re: "Bill makes all the important decisions here."

Joseph M. Reagle Jr. (reagle@rpcp.mit.edu)
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 14:05:44 -0500

At 01:43 PM 1/15/98 -0800, I Find Karma wrote:
>Much as I like Slate, I feel spoiled. I cannot bring myself to pay for
>it, even at a mere $30 a pop. Just like I still cannot bring myself to
>pay for the New York Times online. I think it's a psychological problem
>more than an economic one: after 10+ years on the Internet, I still
>expect not to pay for things unless the value added is very clear.

I've been thinking about this. I don't think it is just "being spoiled" it
has to do with the setting, and an apparent time constraint. If I spend 10
hours on the computer/Web/Internet filtering, slashing, and hacking away at
information, I feel burdened to look at any more info., even if it is info.
I want, and would be willing to pay for in a different media. I think TV and
print will continue indefinitely (in one form or another -- even if the
content back-end is the same) for no reason other than the variety of
interacting with the media.

After a day of traipsing through information I want to zone and be force fed
by the boob tube. (pun intended?) No interactivity, please!

Regards, http://web.mit.edu/reagle/www/home.html
Joseph Reagle E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65 BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E
reagle@mit.edu independent research account
Warranty and guaranty clauses are voided by payment of this invoice.