So-Called Slate Suppression and the Drudge Grudge.

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 06:12:19 -0800

I'm sure more than half of you read Slate's "Today's Papers", so I'll
make this post brief. I just wanted to point out that in this
postmodern world, news sources OF news sources can both be castigated
for SUPPRESSING the news [passage 1 below] and be ignored for SCOOPING
the news [passage 2 below]. And journalists wonder why the public has
no respect for the mainstream media! I find "Today's Papers" and
"Drudge Report" to be so much more informative than the LA Times that
arrives on my doorstep each morning, that I'm cancelling my LA Times
subscription. Then I'll have enough money to subscribe to Slate...

> From papers-bounces@microsoft.nwnet.com Thu Jan 22 04:52:25 1998
> To: papers@microsoft.nwnet.com
> Subject: Today's Papers - January 22, 1998
>
> Today's Papers From Slate Magazine (http://www.slate.com)
>
> Monica Depression
> By Scott Shuger

Passage 1:
> The [Clinton-Lewinsky sex scandal] story was first broken by late
> editions of yesterday's WP and LAT. ("Today's Papers" was castigated
> by numerous readers for having poor news judgment, or worse, a
> pro-Clinton desire to suppress news. The truth is much simpler: the
> story was held out of the early editions of the papers this column is
> written from.) Today, the Post slops the most at the trough, with nine
> different Monica missives.

Passage 2: