Re: I'm getting scared

Gregory Alan Bolcer (gbolcer@endeavors.org)
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 10:14:24 -0800

You fraidy cats. Internet stocks are commodities, as long as there
are no metcalfian hiccups, the steady widening stream of newbies will
feed this mania for at least a couple more years or if not, Clinton can blame
the impeachment as the root cause of any downturn. I think a lot of the mania
is actually overstated. Take the survivability arguement. Suppose you pick
the top 3 Internet companies in a market segment (forget for a moment that the
market segment might not be viable or relevant in the long term), if you put
1/3 of your investment in each, two of them will die out, one will survive, and
the one that does will be worth 100's of times the value. The whole pipeline is
set up this way starting from which companies get funded to which ones make
the S&P500 or Nasdaq 100. The value of most Internet stocks is based on the
simple estimation of what they might possibly be worth in the future (66% x $0 +
33% x some complicated formula involving market share (variable) and market size
(fixed)).
For the big brokerage houses, the losses the two other stocks is more than made
up by the single investment. The only scary part is that the individual investor
often doesn't have enough to absorb this type of loss because of time and scale. Also
they individual investor often gets on the short end of the stick when the big
brokerages decide to dump one of the stocks. Luckily for mathematically inclined
computer scientists, you can determine price-decision points, and consolidation
of all of a brokerage's holdings in order to sell them in whole or a series of
blocks is a recognizable pattern.

Greg 8-)