Re: Quotes

C. Dale (cdale@home.isolnet.com)
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 15:06:40 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 31 Dec 1998, Tom Whore wrote:

> Thre is no doubt, interracial marriages will dilute one of the races
> involved.
>
> The question is, how secure is a races culture? Does dilution od genetic
> make up equate dilution of a cultural heritage?

The answer, in most cases, is "yes." A good example of this is a couple I
know here in Durham. She's "white," he's "black." She's turned him on to
different ways of dressing, his family has turned her on to different ways
of cooking, and they share CDs, books, etc. Their kids will not grow up
in a culture that is either completely afro-centric or mutt-american, but
a mixture of both. The question is: Is this a bad thing? Having grown up
in the deep south, where the railroad tracks divided these cultures, I
have to say that, having spent much time on each side, I don't like the
idea of pork being substituted for onions in collard greens, dancing and
singing being less 'natural' in homes, etc. I'm talking about the
dilution of the african-american culture, since white americans in general
don't seem to have a strong cultural base. But, though I don't like the
idea of losing such a rich tasty and very -strong- cultural base, I know
there's not a damned thing I can do about it except hope that
organizations which are designed to keep these cultural traits alive will
do well. I used to yearn for the day when we'll all just be the same
race, so there will be no conflict because of it, but that would just be
boring.
Ridin' the fence,
Cindy

> "every brothre aint a brother