Web links for "engineering everywhere"

Rohit Khare (rohit@uci.edu)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 17:43:25 -0800

My notes on localizers are about halfway through :=20
http://xent.ics.uci.edu/FoRK-archive/jan99/0085.html

There were three recent books on computing that got reviewed together=20
in the NYT & elsewhere:
* When Things Start to Think; Neil A. Gershenfeld
* Robot : Mere Machine to Transcendent Mind; Hans P. Moravec
* Age of Spiritual Machines : When Computers Exceed Human=20
Intelligence; Ray Karzweil, Ray Kurzweil

Kurzweil's book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0670882178/o/qid=3D917053114/sr=3D2=
=20
-1/002-1428174-4307411/forkrecommendedrA

first chapter=20
http://search.nytimes.com/search/daily/bin/fastweb?getdoc+site+site+57=20
815+4+wAAA+Kurzweil

Slate did a joint review of these books, attached. at the very end is=20
a mention of
"His image of a "utility fog"--a set of microscopic machines, acting=20
in unison to produce objects atom by atom on demand--is really a=20
version of the "holodeck" on Star Trek. The utility fog goes one step=20
beyond modeling reality: It makes it. But the link to that fantasy=20
comes from computer games."

The NYTimes Review quoth:
"If our three authors are wobbly on the philosophy of mind and=20
artificial intelligence, they are strong on computer technology=20
itself; and here is where their books are particularly interesting.=20
The reader can simply detach all the dubious speculations about=20
machine consciousness and focus on the authors' predictions about the=20
future of computer and robot technology, its potential benefits and=20
hazards. Consider two examples of the kind of technology that might=20
well be just over the horizon: the foglets and the nanobots. Foglets=20
are tiny, cell-sized robots, each more computationally powerful than=20
the human brain, that are equipped with minute gripping arms that=20
enable them to join together into diverse physical structures. At=20
ease the foglets are just a loose swarm of suspended particles in the=20
air, but when you press a button they execute a program for forming=20
themselves into an object of your choosing. We may come to live in=20
foglet houses whose rooms are formed from the same foggy swarm. We=20
may come to have foglet friends and take foglet vacations. Our entire=20
physical environment may come to consist of a 3-D mosaic of=20
cooperating microscopic computers. This would be virtual reality made=20
concrete. "
http://www.nytimes.com/books/99/01/03/reviews/990103.03mcginnt.html

Here's a monograph on the concept:=20
http://nanotech.rutgers.edu/nanotech/Ufog.html
Sussman's amorphous computing talk : http://world.std.com/~wware/sussman.htm=
a/k/a foglets in Drexler's Nanosystems and Smart Dust in PARCisms.

The critical inspirational text: Drexler's _Engines of=20
Creation/Engines of Destruction_. This is a nice hook for the=20
social-responsibility aspect of Engineering: the role of the field to=20
engender innovation, as well as governance and ethics. Nanotechnology=20
can clearly be more destructive than atomic weaponry, and Drexler=20
doesn't shy away from it:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0385199732/o/qid=3D917054230/sr=3D2=
=20
-1/002-1428174-4307411/forkrecommendedrA

More to come...
Rohit

----------------------------------------------------------------------=20

David Bennahum is the author of Extra Life: Coming of Age in=20
Cyberspace. Jim Holt writes about science and philosophy for Lingua=20
=46ranca and the Wall Street Journal. This week they discuss When=20
Things Start To Think, by Neil Gershenfeld (Henry Holt; 224 pages;=20
$25) and The Age of Spiritual Machines: When Computers Exceed Human=20
Intelligence, by Ray Kurzweil (Viking; 352 pages; $24.95).

Previous List all Next
=20
1/4