Re: American Pie

Tim Byars (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:16:59 -0800

At 10:55 AM 1/29/99 -0800, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
>Whitehead? There you have to go and spoil the party. Sony announced
>news today for download pricing of music [1], and the FCC decision
>to go after pirate radio broadcasting is sure to force more onto
>the net. [2]
>
>[1] http://www.mercurycenter.com/business/tech/docs/008342.htm
>[2] http://www.mercurycenter.com/premium/front/docs/pirate29.htm
>
>The day they figure out a way to charge for mp3's and control
>the distribution is the day music will die.

The FCC also is allowing low wattage broadcast for church groups etc. If I
want to open the Church of Satan HB and broadcast Danzig and helloween at
1/2 watt am I going to have to pay a fee?

Like I said on VAL, it's going to turn into the same thing as running a
pirate warez board. There will be way too many for anyone to go after, and
it's conceivable that if busted the ACLU would defend your write to
broadcast on the Internet as long as you weren't doing it for profit. As
far as I can remember the last time I ripped the shrinkwrap off a CD there
was no licence agreement written or implied.

Tim

p.s. I find it interesting that danzig was corrected by Eudora's spell
checker to Danzig.

--

I don't get it, it ran so smooth the first three installs...

<> tbyars@earthlink.net <>