Re: Rohit's Grocery List

Gerald Oskoboiny (gerald@impressive.net)
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 14:28:10 -0500

On Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 08:56:05AM -0800, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
> http://xent.ics.uci.edu/FoRK-archive/jan99/0313.html
>
> One of the things I've always wanted to do was not to be
> bothered with grocery shopping. This is a near impossibility
> in the US unless you are rich or a bored homemaker. I met a
> CEO at the corporate investment conference I attended on
> Wednesday. They have online grocery sales; their most
> receptive area is Asia. [...]

I've used HomeRuns (http://www.homeruns.com/) a few times and
have been quite happy with the results. They deliver in any
2-hour window you specify, and if you order more than $60 worth
of stuff there's no charge for delivery. ($10 otherwise.)
And you can set up online shopping lists to use as the basis
for future orders.

I think Homeruns serves the New England area only, but there are
at least a couple similar US-wide services. Their prices seem
comparable to the local monopoly; I haven't used it for produce
yet so quality hasn't been an issue, but I kind of assume they
won't bring you garbage because if they did you'd never use them
again.

I have mainly found it useful because I don't have a car, so I
use it to stock up on heavy stuff that I can store for months.
(canned soup, pasta sauce, soda.) They're missing a few specific
products that I like, so I still need to make regular trips
myself.

--
Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald@impressive.net>
http://impressive.net/people/gerald/