a salute to stability

Joseph R. Kiniry (kiniry@cs.caltech.edu)
Sat, 12 Jul 1997 17:13:43 -0700 (PDT)

forkers,

mourning the fact that we can't somehow switch the machine over to a
battery pack for twelve hours...

joe

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: berna (Berna L Massingill)
To: wen-king@myri.com
Cc: kiniry, mika, rajit
Subject: match this, Windows!
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 97 15:34:11 PDT

Hi --

Tomorrow the powers that be are shutting down power to the CS
buildings for the day. At first I was just annoyed about the
prospect of e-mail-etc. withdrawal symptoms. But then I realized
that this would also mean the end of a pretty remarkable little
situation. Here's how I described it to Chris. I don't know what
he'll make of it, and I doubt I'll get a gratifyingly frivolous
e-mail reply to my message, but surely someone will marvel with
me ....:

>P.S. If you're going to be going around shutting down all the
>machines, you might want to pause for a moment before shutting down the
>one in my office to reflect on the following:
>
>hebe(berna)% uptime
> 7:22am up 675 days, 9:10, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
>
>Yup, the last time it was rebooted was right after the last time power
>was out in the building, Labor Day weekend of 1995. Now *that's*
>stable. It probably hasn't hurt that I don't stress the machine too
>much -- a lot of vi and a little latex, mostly -- and of course there
>haven't been any hardware upgrades or anything, but still, 675 days
>without a reboot must say something about system stability.
>
>Well, *I* thought it was pretty remarkable, and so I pass on this
>bit of historical trivia for your possible amazement as well ....

I mean, if I were doing the shutting down, I'd feel obliged to stand
for a moment in front of this machine in respectful silence or
something before putting an end to 675 days without a reboot. :-)?

As the subject line suggests, can Windows match this?

- -- Berna

--
Joseph R. Kiniry      A1 F9 C5 8C B3 43 54 20  FA 20 63 80 53 C3 6D 85
Graduate Student, California Institute of Technology       ID 78860581