Re: Canonical argument for (and against) layered protocol

Joseph M. Reagle Jr. (
Wed, 01 Jul 1998 18:00:58 -0400

At 04:31 AM 7/1/98 -0700, Rohit Khare wrote:
>Is there a better, more canonical paper on layering as an abstract
>technique to itself?

If you find one, let me know. Interesting stuff. Reading the paper, my mind
couldn't help but think, "this is what DMAs were created for versus old I/O
with lots of interrupts." And David does talk about the "front processor"
option, which I think we've moved towards somewhat with lots of peripheral
management conducted by independent processors.

Regardless, one of those books I'd like to see published is, "RFC Classics:
Timeless RFCs on Computer and Network Design." Wouldn't necessarily limit it
to network or RFCs, but there's a lot of good stuff out there that could be
compiled together in a nice book with some editorializing, context, and
where are we now type analysis.

Joseph Reagle E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65 BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E independent research account