Fear and Loathing in the Microsoft Store. Plus: Springer, Amazon.

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Wed, 1 Jul 1998 16:19:18 -0700

So I spent several hours in the Microsoft Store yesterday watching the
ruthless efficiency with which the masses of Microsoft employees used up
their credits cleaning out the store like a pack of pirhana.

The bad news is, they were all sold out of the Windows 98 upgrade kit
and Publisher 98. The good news is, they indicated that they'd probably
have more of them in a week or two; bonus: I was able to snag everything
else people requested. (One exception: Phil, they don't offer the MSDN
Universal subscription through the MS Store like I had hoped. Which is
too bad, because I'd really like it, but $2000 a year is like a sixth of
my take-home salary... :)

So, as we speak the following items are en route to the following
people:

Windows 98 Full version to Greg and Wayne.
Dilbert, Entertainment Pack, and Hallmark Clip Art pack to Richard.
Office 98 Gold Edition for the Mac to Keith.
Tee shirt to Janie. (If it doesn't fit, send it back and I'll
find you a different one. :)

And the following items are back ordered for the following people,
meaning I'll send them to you when they're in stock:

Publisher 98 to Jim.
Windows 98 Plus Pack to Wayne. (Is that right, Wayne?)
Windows 98 Upgrade from 95 to Kendall, Klassa, Richard, Doug, Jim,
and two for Boyer.

Oh, and I'll get Tim Byars one of those Microsoft Interactive Barney
the Purple Dinosaur dolls... because Microsoft and Barney are two great
tastes that taste great together.

Oh, and I get another $350 limit starting today so if you want anything
and haven't asked yet, ask away.

Speaking of getting stuff, I was buying myself a couple of Jerry
Springer videos today at

http://www.getjerry.com/

when I realized that the August IETF is in Chicago. So, I'm thinking
about getting tickets to Springer on one of those days. Is anyone else
interested? If so, email me how many tickets I should try to get for you.

Also speaking of getting stuff, I got a really weird letter from Amazon
today. I think they're just using this as an excuse not to ship my
stuff right away:

> From cchelp@amazon.com Wed Jul 1 15:34:58 1998
> To: adam@cs.caltech.edu
> Subject: Your Amazon.com Order (#002-5430509-8674849)
>
> Greetings from Amazon.com!
>
> Just a quick note to let you know that we experienced difficulties
> when attempting to communicate with the issuing bank of your American
> Express card (exp. March, 1999). This does not necessarily indicate
> any complication with your credit card and we hope to successfully
> reach your bank very soon.
>
> Rest assured, your order is very important to us. We apologize for
> any inconvenience caused by this slight delay. Feel free to contact
> us if you have any questions.
>
> Customer Service can be reached Monday through Friday,
> 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (Pacific Time).
> U.S. and Canada: (800) 201-7575
> International: (206) 694-2992
> Fax: (206) 694-2950
>
> Thanks once again for your order.
>
> Sincerely,
> Customer Service
> Amazon.com
> Books, Music and More
> http://www.amazon.com

So okay, Rohit, despite the fact that you're now only the
eighth-most-frequent poster to FoRK, you win: I'm actually working on my
survey again after a brief, well-needed respite... Hopefully I'll have
SOMETHING for you before I leave on Friday for Vegas, baby. Some
Independence Day this is gonna be. More like an Armageddon if you ask
me... Are you gettin' it? Armageddon it...

----
adam@cs.caltech.edu

Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start
closing in, the only cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then
drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas... with the music at
top volume and at least a pint of ether...
-- Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas