Re: Netscape 4.5

Dan Brickley (Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk)
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:05:24 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Terence Sin wrote:
[...]

> ps. the "What's Related" feature is the Alexa surf-engine that I was
> talking about a few days ago.

Not necessarily (at least in Mozilla/Nav.5; perhaps v4.5 is hardcoded).

Mozilla seems to have a notion of one or more 'SmartBrowsingProviders'
identified by URI and specified as RDF statements in the browser's
configuration file. When the browser feels a need to find related links
w.r.t. the current URI, a very simple query is made to each bureau:

eg. "http://www.related-links.com/wtgn?http://www.w3.org/" asks a
related-links bureau for related links about the W3C site.
Results are returned as an RDF graph encoded in XML.

Bandwidth-guzzling concerns aside, this is quite an interesting approach
compared to simply hardcoding an Alexa applet into the browser UI. It's
basically a simple version of the PICS Label Bureau model extended to
use RDF.

There's an example navcentr.rdf config file on the Mozilla site,
http://www.mozilla.org/rdf/navcntr.rdf that shows the basic setup...

RDF snippet (using the abbreviated version of RDF syntax):

[...]
<Topic id="NC:SmartBrowsingProviders">
<child href="http://altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/query?q=link%3A"
name="Who points to me?"
resultType="TEXT/HTML"/>
<child href="http://www-rl1.netscape.com/wtgn?" name="Related Links"
resultType="TEXT/RDF" />
</Topic>
[...]

So you'd switch Alexa or whoever on as related-link services by writing
their details into this graph. More (sketchy) SmartBrowsing docs at
http://www.mozilla.org/rdf/doc/

A couple of questions bugging me about this...

- will all these extra http requests add significantly to web traffic?

- does the smart browsing model encourage vast ugly & monolithic 'all of
the web' indexes (Alexa, Altavista etc) or could we assemble useful
SmartBrowsing services from a federation of smaller metadata bureaus,
each holding quality catalogue entries for a few thousand URLs
appropriate to some subject area.

thinking out loud,

Dan

ps. here's the response from a smartbbrowsing query of
"http://www-rl1.netscape.com/wtgn?http://www.w3.org". Don't know whether
they're doing this using Alexa or some other database, but the links don't
seem all that closely related to me:

<RDF:RDF>
<RelatedLinks>
<aboutPage href="http://www.w3.org:80/"/>