FW: ACP launches multimedia ad campaign for privacy! (7/22/1998)

Dan Kohn (dan@teledesic.com)
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 16:10:20 -0700

A computer lobbying organization financed by Microsoft and others has
retained the PR firm that did the famous healthcare Henry and Louise ads
("Honey, the government wants to take away our choice of doctors") to
create a nearly identically-themed ad for encryption. While I agree
with the content, I find the ad vaguely hilarious, and do not see my
mother getting excited about the issue.

http://www.computerprivacy.org/ads/acpad1.shtml

- dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Americans for Computer Privacy
[mailto:webmaster@computerprivacy.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 1998 6:27 AM
To: webmaster@computerprivacy.org
Subject: ACP launches multimedia ad campaign for privacy! (7/22/1998)

_____
___ ____ ____ |
/ _ \ / ___| _ \ | Media
Advisory
| |_| | | | |_) | AMERICANS FOR COMPUTER PRIVACY | July 22,
1998
| _ | |___| __/ |
|_| |_|\____|_| |
_____
** http://www.computerprivacy.org **
_____

For Immediate Release CONTACT: Sue Richard or Monica
Gliva
July 22, 1998 (202) 625-1256
suer@dittusgroup.com
monicag@dittusgroup.com

AMERICANS FOR COMPUTER PRIVACY LAUNCHES MULTIMEDIA AD CAMPAIGN

Coalition takes encryption message to TV, Print and Internet

Washington, D.C. - (July 22) Americans for Computer Privacy (ACP) today
announced details of phase one of its multimedia advertising campaign,
focused on educating the public and lawmakers on the encryption issue.
Unveiled at a Capitol Hill news conference, the campaign includes
30-second television spots, one-page print ads and a far-reaching
on-line component.

"Our messages are straightforward and convey the concerns of American
consumers," stated ACP Executive Director Ed Gillespie. "The ads draw
attention to the flaws in current encryption policies which threaten
the security of our nation's infrastructure and put our technological
leadership at risk. They also point out the threat to privacy posed by
an FBI-backed proposal that would require Americans to turn over
encryption 'keys' to government-approved third parties."

The first phase of television ads, to air on selected cable networks
and stations in the Washington D.C. market, begin today and will run
until the Congressional recess, and again in September. Print ads will
run in selected national and local publications during the same time
periods. In addition, ACP will conduct an unprecedented Internet-based
advertising campaign, running banners on marquee sites across the Net,
reaching approximately 6.25 million web surfers between July 27 and
September 30.

"With a single click, individuals will be able to jump to background
information on the encryption issue, along with their Representative's
position and telephone number," stated Gillespie. "By reaching out to
Internet users in this unique way, ACP will build support for our
efforts while at the same time demonstrating the power and potential of
this extraordinary medium-a potential that is threatened by strict
government controls on privacy-protecting encryption tools."

Gillespie was joined by a number of lawmakers who support ACP and
legislation to reform encryption policy. They included SAFE Act
supporters Representative Bob Goodlatte (R-VA), Representative Zoe
Lofgren (D-CA), Representative Sam Gejdenson (D-CT) and Representative
Rick White (R-WA), as well as E-Privacy supporters Senator Patrick
Leahy (D-VT) and Senator Conrad Burns (R-MT).

To view stills and RealVideo versions of the TV ads and to see the Web
Banners, please visit http://www.computerprivacy.org/ads/

A cybercast of today's news conference will be available at
http://www.computerprivacy.org/ on Thursday, July 23.

###
_____

ACP is a broad-based coalition that brings together more than 90
companies and 40 associations representing financial services,
manufacturing, telecommunications, high-tech and transportation, as
well as law enforcement, civil-liberty, pro-family and taxpayer groups.
ACP supports policies that advance the rights of American citizens to
encode information without fear of government intrusion, and advocates
the lifting of current export restrictions on U.S.-made encryption.

For more information on Americans for Computer Privacy please visit
our
Web Site at http://www.computerprivacy.org

_____

Americans for Computer Privacy
webmaster@computerprivacy.org
PGP-encrypted email encouraged
http://www.computerprivacy.org/
       Don't trust Washington bureaucrats with the key to our lives.