Re: The Secret Diary of TRAVELMAN: the Sequel

Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 14:20:06 -0700 (PDT)

Rohit Khare writes:

> Answer 2: Jim, as a practicing EE, passed along a cover story from
> IEEE Spectrum on inflight RF issues from, oh, two years ago. It's
> nothing quite so simple as "RF waveguide" -- the best guess was a

Well, whatever physical effect is responsible, it *does* focus the
flux in the cockpit. Whether it is enough to disrupt systems it is
beyond my ken. I sure enough it suffices to knock out some intensive
care devices.

> preventative paranoia. And it's not the power so much as the
> frequencies: a PIII can put out more RF, improperly shielded, than a
> 300 mW cellphone.

Sure -- but you're not allowed to operate portables in transit
either. However, if it's true what the people here
http://time-domain.com/technology.html
are saying, laptops should be a lot more innocuous than cellphones.

> More radio ettiquette rules in the GPS faq database... is the delorme
> hypergps really a good buy at $99 or whatever they were blowing them

Delorme doesn't make anything under that name. What are you refering to?