Re: Satan Re: [Slate] American Religious fervor, by the numbers

Eugene Leitl (eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de)
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 14:32:42 -0700 (PDT)

Karl Anderson writes:

> > What's the point of attaching a face to the fitness function? It's
> > certainly not science, and certainly anathema to the religious.
>
> "The religious"? That's a large group that you're accusing me of
> offending. Are you saying that I'm offending you because of your

Yes indeed.

> beliefs, or are you protecting someone else? Or are you worried that

I'm not protecting anyone, it's just your suggestion doesn't make
sense for a lot of people.

> mentioning evolution might offend a creationist somewhere?

You introduce a concept alien to both science/conventional faith. It
doesn't explain anything.

> I don't think that what I said is blasphemous, however. I was raised
> Christian, and was taught to appreciate nature as God's handiwork and
> a reflection of his glory. And there is precedent in the Bible for
> God using Satan to do some of the work. Surely a religious person who
> also has a slightly open mind wouldn't object to having a conversation
> where these ideas are put together and thought about.

In my experience, religious persons with slightly open minds are a
rare breed indeed. You, Sir, are negligeable.