Re: South Park B/L/U: another opinion

Ian Andrew Bell (ibell@cisco.com)
Wed, 07 Jul 1999 15:18:07 -0700

--------------166A19717FB8D292AEF9ECD5

Well, we're rewarding them because it's entertaining.

It's unclear to me that there's really a sociopathic difference between the
type who would actually have the compulsion to picket a movie such as "South
Park" and the type who would use it as the inspiration for a brutal high
school killing.

At most, movies like "South Park" (which I probably won't see, since I have
led a blissful ignorant existence having not seen the TV show) or something
like Oliver Stone's "Natural Born Killers" are gently tugging at the end of
a long rope that inches your society towards moral degradation. Within the
context of a social sickness perpetuated by vast inequalities in wealth,
poor and unequal access to education, and insufficient social services to
help struggling families, this rope gradually gets pulled further towards
depravity.

I watched "Natural Born Killers" and have no compulsion to slaughter the
world even though I found the violence in this and other films like "Pulp
Fiction" to be entertaining. What's different about me? I was raised by
parents who cared to, and had the time to, explain things to me. I went to
good schools and learned proper behaviour, I have never committed a crime
(well..) and I have been taught the skills of leading a productive life
within mainstream society. Education, social assistance, free health care,
and other social programs are partly responsible for my relatively
unmitigated development as a person. From my 10 months of living and work-
ing in the US, it is readily evident that most Americans do not have the
same support networks to count on.

Make these essential elements of nation building relevant again, reduce the
US Military's testosterone driven maniacal control over the national agenda
to pay for them, and over successive generations watch as the people grow
to be absorptive of such ideas without being directly influenced by them.
Why does Europe have permissive laws regarding sex and violence on televis-
ion and yet have lower teen pregnancy rates, and murder and crime rates?
Statistics "suggest" (you cannot prove these links to be causal) that soc-
ial programs are major contributors.

If the church wants to help moral degradation they should curb their spend-
ing on hookers and theme parks and work to heal the sick, and feed and edu-
cate the poor. Go ahead and spoon feed them the Real Truth about Jesus
while they're at it -- see if I care. GOD, just like television, is
responsible for many mass killings (eg. the conquest of New Spain certainly
outmatches the Columbine High School killings in sheer numbers). It's all
in how we interpret and use the ideas that we're presented with.

Short of helping society as a whole YOU, Jim Whitehead, are perfectly wel-
come to access the means of cultural production to tell your own story and
pull the rope in the other direction. The challenge is to make it enter-
taining to the audience that needs it -- these are the undereducated, the
easily influenced, the faceless hordes that social theorists thrust forth
as the lowest common denominator. SO get to writing, and sell the script
to some cocaine-snorting Hollywood producer type (and maybe grease the
wheels on your train to moral triumph by scoring him some premium-quality
hashish -- yes I love the irony there).

You know what a good example was? "Clueless". This, and some of the John
Hughes movies, have been very successful at eroding the football-star-as-
hero and cheerleader-as-conquest high school culture that once permeated
the teenage definition of "cool". Also, organizations like adbusters (at
http://adbusters.org/spoofads/) are exemplary of countercultural revolut-
ionaries that use the same mechanisms as those whose ideas they combat. A
little more significant than redefining teen culture, I'll admit.

Anyway, you wanna battle sickness in the media? Give people a societally
acceptable context in which to consume it by nurturing their growth, or
get down in the trenches and fight their memes with your own.

-Ian.

--
--------------166A19717FB8D292AEF9ECD5

begin:vcard n:Bell;Ian tel;pager:(800) 365-4578 tel;cell:(408) 921-4873 tel;fax:(781) 685-5915 tel;home:(408) 564-2523 tel;work:(408) 525-8630 x-mozilla-html:FALSE url:http://www.cisco.com org:Cisco Systems - Service Provider LOB;Packet Telephony Division version:2.1 email;internet:ibell@cisco.com title:Solutions Manager adr;quoted-printable:version:2.1;;Building SJ-6/4=0D=0A375 East Tasman Drive ;San Jose;CA;95134;USA note;quoted-printable:AOL Instant Messenger ID: ibell SJ=0D=0A=0D=0A x-mozilla-cpt:;-8400 fn:Ian Andrew Bell end:vcard

--------------166A19717FB8D292AEF9ECD5--