Re: Another case of pilot error

Joachim Feise (jfeise@ics.uci.edu)
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 08:45:34 -0700

Eugene Leitl wrote:

> Joachim Feise writes:
> > As a pilot I may be biased, but planes ARE safer than cars.
>
> In terms of travel hours or miles travelled? There is a slight
> difference here, obviously.

travel per hour, of course.

> > In this case, apparently it was not as clear as it originally seemed, and
> > according to one pilot report that I heard you could not see the horizon.
> > In such a case, the proper thing would have been to turn 180 degrees and
> > was better there.
>
> Was this somewhere in the Caribbean, or something?

Why, this can happen everywhere. I had to divert to another airport twice here
in SoCal, because my destination was fogged in. And the LA smog is infamous.
You see the ground just fine, but you can't see much of what's in front of
you. I have my share of experience, and I don't want to repeat that. I actually
saw the airport I wanted to land (Riverside) only when I was directly over it.

-JoeF

--
"When PCs run new applications successfully, most people feel relief
and almost pathetic gratitude - a standard of reliability tolerated in