Re[4]: Joining FoRK?

Kieron Lawson (kieron@developments.co.nz)
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:05:01 +1200

It occurred to me that my use of the word may have been a colloquial one.
Given the exposure that the rest of the world has to American media,
we're pretty used to 'pissed' (the adjective) having two meanings,
while it may not be true in reverse.

Enriching everyone's word power for the day:

http://www.notredame.ac.jp/cgi-bin/wn?pissed
Overview of adj pissed

The adj pissed has 2 senses (no senses from tagged texts)

1. annoyed, irritated, nettled, peeved, pissed, riled, roiled, stung --
(aroused to impatience or anger; ``made an irritated gesture"; "feeling
nettled from the constant teasing"; "peeved about being left out"; "felt
really pissed at her snootiness"; "riled no end by his lies"; "roiled
by the delay'' )
2. besotted, blind, blind drunk, blotto, crocked, fuddled, loaded,
pissed, pixilated, plastered, potty, slopped, sloshed, smashed,
soaked, soused, sozzled, squiffy, stiff, tiddly, tiddley, tight,
tipsy, wet -- (slang for `drunk')

Of course, you all needed to know that.

And for future reference, for anything that I type that has double
meaning, please refer to the NZ English to US English dictionary:
http://nz.com/NZ/Culture/NZDic.html

--
Kieron Lawson
Database Developments Ltd