Re: mp3 advice?

Steve Dossick (sdossick@cs.columbia.edu)
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 14:31:22 -0400 (EDT)

We've done this in our research lab here at columbia. We took an unused
dual pentium pro 200 (your DARPA-funded tax dollars at work :) and threw a
10gb drive into it to make it an MP3 player.

A couple of tips/cool things to do:

o IMHO, the analog outputs (the 1/8" headphone connectors) on the backs of
most sound cards are total sh*t. If you're serious about using this
system for most of your music, get a sound card that has an SPDIF output,
and an amplifier (or receiver/amp) with a compatible SPDIF input. This
will send digital data from your machine to your stereo. Most computers
are too electrically noisy to do a really good job at D/A conversion.

On the other hand, if you just want to use your desktop speakers, the
analog outs are probably ok.

o Get a remote control system for your mp3 player. Our mp3 machine runs
linux, and we use lircd (look it up on freshmeat.net, I don't have the URL
handy). You can get IR remotes now for like $9, including an IR receiver
which hooks to the serial port of your machine. In our lab, we have 4
identical remotes, so we can all skip songs, change volume, etc.

I'm sure others here are doing things like this. I'd love to hear about
your experiences!

-s