Re: Canada quiz

Ron Resnick (rresnick@dialogosweb.com)
Mon, 08 Jun 1998 00:38:58 -0400

WILKINS@hws.edu wrote:
> How about:
>
> Hey Hoser, howz it going?

Hmm, nahh. The yanks just made that hoser stuff up (well,
Rick Moranis& Dave Thomas, anyway). We never say it.

> two-four

Excellent! The quintissential Canadianism. Let the yanks
have their six-packs, all I want is a 2-4 of armadillo...
kurukuku... We had a camping trip about 11 years ago at
Round Lake, just east of Algonquin. 6 guys, one long weekend,
4 2-4's as of Friday 6PM. By Sunday noon, all the beer was gone,
the ranger had kicked us out of the park, and we were
camped in a cornfield with one full day left to go.
I got elected to drive the
90 minute one-way beer-run to Quebec, over the bridge at Pembroke.
Just *when* will Ontario sell beer in corner stores on a Sunday??

Oh,and how do you like your coffee? I like my coffee...

> You're welcome (since moving to the US I've noticed that no one here
> says "you're welcome. When I say "Thank You" the only reply I get
> is "uh-huh"... it bugs the hell out of me!)

Yes, I've noticed it too! Esp. in the midwest. Bob Evans
waitresses always say 'uh-huh'. (Sheepishly) I've
started saying it too...

> The Social Contract
> Rae Days

Old times, old times :-). Haven't you heard of Ernie Eves workfare?

>Zed

Club Zed.

> >Poutine.
> aka "Death in a Bucket"...possibly the most cholestrol laden dish in
> the world and usually served in a big paper bucket

The only trouble with poutine is I like to put vinegar on
my fries (I actually stash away little plastic packets of
Harveys vinegar to take with me to Israel and the States
for my fries there). And, vinegar on poutine is a very
definite no-no, Canadian though it all may appear. Other
than that, I love poutine! ('fcourse, I grew up in Ottawa.
We'd go swimming in Lac Lapeche in the Gatineaus when
I was a kid, long before poutine was known outside of
small-town Quebec. My passion for poutine goes back to
long August afternoons at age 7 or 8, along with hard maple-walnut
icecream cones... The bland stuff they serve in fast food
restaurants today doesn't do justice to the original)

> Diva (who is called "the Frostback" by her boss....are any other Cdns who
> work in the US referred to in a similar manner?)

Not I. Then again, my US coworkers don't think of me as Canadian,
but rather as a brain-damaged Israeli. It's hard to argue that -
neither the noun, nor the adjective.

>>Crappy Tire.
>
>Next to every Tim Horton's.

I thought that was Wendy's?

Who *is* that smiling Scotsman on the crappy tire money anyway?
What's he smiling about - doesn't he pay GST like the rest of us?