RE: Salton Sea

Lisa Dusseault (lisadu@exchange.microsoft.com)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 15:41:48 -0700

Oddly enough, this relates to a conversation I had on geography last night
on a boat on Lake Washington. I was talking to somebody who had trouble
believing me when I said that Lake Washington drained, out its south end,
into the Pacific. He thought in general that many lakes did not drain into
rivers, and instead evaporated or drained underground.

Having scrutinized many many maps (I love maps) in my life, it seems to me
that the vast majority of lakes do drain into rivers. How true is that?

As far as I knew last night, the Dead Sea was the only lake which does not
drain: it maintains its level because evaporation is matched by entering
water quantities. So does Salton Sea also evaporate? Are there any others?

Also, are there many other lakes which are below sea level at their surface
or at their deepest points?

Another argument was over crater lake in Montana. My friend thought that
crater lake, montana, was so deep that its bottom must be below sea level.
That is difficult for me to believe because, although I do not know
Montana's average altitude offhand, it must be fairly high. The lowest
point, on the MT-ID state line, is 1,820 ft, which I know from

Lisa