Re: Staying with Sprint?

Mike Masnick (mike@techdirt.com)
Wed, 09 Jun 1999 10:34:26 -0700

Personal experience: I have the z-phone (the little one with the flip out
microphone). It's not dual mode, but I believe Sprint now supports the
dual mode version of the phone (not that I really care). I've been using
the 90peak/500offpeak plan which somehow I got for $29/month, which is an
incredibly good deal. It used to be better when I was working a real job
and didn't use the phone that much during the day. Since striking it out
on my own, I end up using the phone much more during the day and incurring
the extra charges.

Problems with sprint: the customer service is DREADFUL. For one week last
year I had no voicemail. I called them the day it happened and they
couldn't figure out what went wrong so they "reset" my voicemail, but
informed me it would take 24 hours to come back on line. 24 hours later...
nothing. I called again (one hour on hold) and they couldn't figure out
what happened, and had no record of my vm being reset. So they reset it
again (another 24 hours). Nothing. I call again, they say the person did
it incorrectly, so they'll have to reset it again. 24 hours later and
nothing. I call again... etc... for one week.

Sprint's coverage (depends on where you are) is certainly not as good as
other services I've seen as well. Also, the quality seems suspect. I've
used AT&T before and it had great quality. Sprint drops packets like you
wouldn't believe.

I had that $15/mo/share a phone thing with my roommate for a while, but it
really didn't make much sense long term so we dropped it. Check your bill
carefully because we got all sorts of random charges that made the bill
MUCH higher than it should have been and when we called them on it, they
said "oh, whoops, that's not right".

However, in the end, the price of the deal and the little tiny z-phone keep
me with them. If I ever switched I'd go over to the Nokia 6000 series
(Rohit, the new ones have a number pad cover).

-Mike