Remembrance of...

Joe Barrera (joebar@MICROSOFT.com)
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 15:51:11 -0800

You believe you've assimilated into your adopted culture, that you've
forgotten your native tongue. Then one day someone addresses you in that
tongue and you understand completely, unconciously, as if no time has passed
-- what a disorienting feeling!

I speak DOS/NT/Win32 now, of course. Before then, I spoke Unix for many
years, much better than most natives. But my first tongue was VMS. I was
never an expert, but some phrases, such as "set noon" (pronounced "set no
on"), will always be part of me...