moronic Javscript implementations was RE: ed yourdon on Y2k

Lloyd Wood (L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk)
Sun, 8 Mar 1998 03:02:18 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 7 Mar 1998, Joe Barrera wrote:

> <http://www.vergemag.com/2000.html> . This site also has a link to a site
> that makes a case for the connection between the 2000 computer bug and the
> second coming of Christ. Of course. And, at the top, it has a Time until
> the Year 2000 clock, written in Javascript. (Can someone who knows
> Javascript better than I do confirm that this clock is not Y2K compliant?
> :-)

http://www.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/3.0/handbook/javascript/ref_d-e.htm

[Note that the handbook STUPIDLY utilises javascript itself with no
fallthrough, which is a bootstrap-into-this-we-don't-want-to-spread-the-
word self-limiting assumption, and that the same family of URLs with
2.0 in them instead no longer exists as they try to cover up their
bootstrap-into-this implementation mistakes.]

Despite the seeming two-digitness of its Date format (1900 is year
zero) Javascript _is_ 2000 (year 100) compliant; note that its date
functionality is limited by platform constraints, so you're not going
to get anything useful before 1970 (aka '70') anywhere as
lowest-common-denominator means it's just not allowed.

Results after 2038 might well be indeterminate thanks to unix; the
latter might trip up people used to Java, which I don't think has that
particular problem.

I can't speak for the JScript or J++ 'implementations' of same, which
have been known to exhibit even more alarming inconsistencies than
increments/platform variations of Netscape Javascript/JDK. (indexOf()
not returning a sensible value such as NaN on Solaris Netscape 2.0 is
a particular favourite, since it means that most of the Javascript
code out there to detect implementations fails on a number of
implementations. This is even better than the errors generated by
their error-trapping routines.)

> Oh, and since people keep asking me where can I find CP/M documentation

On 8" and 3" floppy disks. Oh look, another bootstrap spread-the-word
self-limiting problem. You can't beat archiving paper.

Next.

Actually, I recommend downloading an Amstrad CPC emulator and bugging
its authors about properly emulating the CP/M boot disks that came
with the 464 disk drive, the 664 and the 6128. Those had elegant
memory models that showed up the Spectrum's and the BBC's for the
sucky hacks they were.

L.

CP/M 3.0 rules. Digital's Logo implementation on it rocked.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.sat-net.com/L.Wood/>+44-1483-300800x3641