Re: [VOID] On the Resonance Modes of Protein Separator

Lloyd Wood (L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk)
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 20:09:21 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:

> At 08:10 PM 3/14/98 -0800, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
> > > - Joe
> > >
> > > (*)obURL: http://ocsnet.ocsonline.com/~adlynch/flood.htm
> >
> >This is the weirdest thing. I go to the above URL

using something other than Internet Explorer.

> >and the
> >server serves it up at plain text even though it clearly
> >says text/html.

Eh? Log below says text/plain.

> I want to take a closer look at the code
> >as something is obviously messy, so I save it to my local
> >disk as 'flood.htm' open the URL file:///home/gbolcer/flood.htm
> >and voila, it comes up in full HTML rendered glory. What gives?
>
> There's probably no corresponding suffix mapping to MIME type for files
> with .htm extensions as opposed to .html on the server. This would imply
> that it's either an old Macintosh or Unix web server and is maintained by a
> fool.

I see nothing wrong with ignoring .htm and deliberately encouraging
people to stick with .html on machines with adequate filing systems.

We can't really blame the account user for not actually noticing his
own environment, because he's obviously running Internet Explorer, the
browser which actually deliberately ignores server mimetype
instructions to encourage mass legacy support for the original DOS
filing system no matter what.

It's another Internet-Explorer-can't-implement-standards problem. Any
questions?

L.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.sat-net.com/L.Wood/>+44-1483-300800x3641

> telnet ocsnet.ocsonline.com 80