FW: IEEE O.C. Mtg. on CDMA

Jim Whitehead (ejw@ICS.uci.edu)
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 21:34:57 -0800

Some of the O.C. FoRK-ites who are in love with their cellular telephones
might find this interesting... I'm not going (I have dancing lessons ...
waltz this week), but don't let that stop you.

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Baum, Katherine A [SMTP:Katherine.Baum@unisys.com]
Sent: Friday, March 20, 1998 3:24 PM
To: ElmerCatalan; OCCS-members
Subject: IEEE - Orange County

IEEE Orange County Joint Meetings - March 23
Computer Society, Communications Society,
and the Signal Processing Society

NOTE: We will have a special display of CDMA equipment before and
after our regular technical presentation by Dwight Borses. You can see
the Tektronix display beginning at 5:30 and again after the
presentation. See below for details.

Website at www.ieee-occs.org

Location: Wyndham Gardens Hotel
3350 Avenue of the Arts
Costa Mesa, CA 714-751-5100

DATE: Monday, March 23, 1998
TOPIC: CDMA - A Look under the hood at
Cellular, PCS, and LEO Mobile Communications
SPEAKER: Dwight Borses

On display will be:

SMIQ03 Vector Signal Generator:

Features excellent spectral purity. Exhibits some of the lowest phase
noise on the market. IS-95 standard digital signals available with the
push of a button, or create fully customized vector or digitally
modulated signals.

FSEA Spectrum Analyzer with Vector Signal Analyzer:

Make true power measurements without a correction factor using the RMS
detector. Built-in measurements, including Adjacent Channel Power,
means measurement values can be obtained quickly and easily.

CMD80 CDMA mobile tester:

A compact tester for CDMA mobiles with full signaling capabilities.
Verify mobile RF parameters under similar conditions as found in a real
network.

Please stop by our table to see the display beginning at 5:30 and then
again after Mr. Borses' presentation.

Please join the IEEE Communications Society on March 23 to gain a
qualitative understanding of the workings of Code Division Multiple
Access technology as it applies to cellular, personal communications
systems, and Low Earth Orbit (LEO) Globalstar Satellite mobile
communications. The meeting will be held jointly with the Computer
Society and Signal Processing Chapters at the Wyndham Gardens Hotel.

Speaker Dwight Borses will provide key insights into CDMA technology by
contrasting alternate multiple access technology and exploring the
advantages of direct sequence spread spectrum techniques as they apply
to commercial CDMA. The talk will include a brief look at the service
provider technology choices to demonstrate the growth and acceptance of
the technology, a look at how multiple diversity approaches enhances
reliability, and a description of the signaling, control, and management
functioning. Mr. Borses will specifically discuss power management,
critical to the proper operation of CDMA, soft and softer hand-offs that
increase call reliability, and recent enhancements in the vocoder
implementation. The presentation will include a look at block diagram
implementations of handsets and base-stations, and will conclude with
an introduction to wide band, third generation technology development.

Mr. Borses, a Senior Member of the IEEE, is an MTS Field Applications
Engineer, and has been with National Semiconductor for eleven years. He
is the current Chair of the OC Communications Society chapter and
Interim Chair of the OC Signal Processing chapter. He is a past officer
of the OC Computer Society and Los Angeles Council, is an industry
advisor to Cal State Fullerton's Continuing Education program, and is a
Technical Program advisor for WESCON '98. Mr. Borses is a registered
professional engineer in Control Systems. He been a frequent speaker at
IEEE technical meetings throughout Southern California, has been a guest
lecturer at Cal State LA and UC Irvine, and has presented papers at the
Multimedia Technology and Applications Conference MTAC '96 and 97. He
received his BS and MS in Engineering from UC Irvine.