Drudge Lewinsky buys Vox

Dan Kohn (dan@teledesic.com)
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 11:26:41 -0800

This is a truly amazing Lewinsky story. I can't recommend Vox
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=3D0679742115/forkrecommendedrA>
highly enough. It is just an extremely literate and entertaining look
at people and what turns us on. Here's a review:

On a private adult phone-sex line, Jim, a West Coaster in his late 20s,
connects with East Coast Abby. Birds of a feather--both of them witty,
obsessive, yuppie masturbators--they're off, trading stories and
fantasies and the psychopathologies of everyday life. Baker (The
Mezzanine, Room Temperature), heretofore more a monologist, a literary
performance artist, than much of a novelist, folds his deadpan honesty
and funny fussiness double--and though Jim and Abby finally seem so =
much
like the same voice that they don't really qualify as characters, they
don't have to: Baker has found a conceptual format, the phone sex,
perfectly tailored to his talents. This is a mini-epic of Big Chill--ed
safe-sex: rambling stories that start out as aids to titillation but =
dry
and crumble into homely and self-satisfied details that challenge
eroticism; the overturning of classical seduction theory (here, both =
the
man and woman, unseen to each other, know that the other has his/her
hand on his/her self); lots of little snappy apercus and joshings
establish intellectual coziness. The tropes of modern sex--olive oil,
VCRs, copying machines, the letters in Penthouse Forum--are traded
breezily, sometimes hilariously, but are nothing compared to the main
technological thrill; after Abby tells him exactly how she masturbates
in the shower, Jim (in the book's best and most concentrated moment)
declares it a miracle, ```a telephone conversation I want to have. I
love the telephone.''' And Baker does expose a strange kind of dignity,
in that Jim and Abby aren't using each other for very much more than as
instruments of exemption from embarrassment. Quite a literary season =
for
self-relief! First Harold Brodkey as the Mahler, the Liszt, of the
hand-job, now Nicholson Baker as its David Letterman. -- Copyright
=A91991, Kirkus Associates

- dan

P.S. BTW, Schroeder is correct; Starr's actions here are despicable.