RE: Apple Sauce

David Crook (dcrook@commwerks.com)
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:06:04 -0800

At 10:42 AM 3/24/99 -0800, Tom Whore wrote:
>On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Tim Byars wrote:
>
>--]Well I personally don't see what all the fuss is about. Apple's open
>--]source only affects Apple hardware which nobody has anyway. Right?
>--]
>
>Come On tim. Even you should be able to see that folks into the OSS
>lifestyle will see anything less than total compliance as an afront to
>thier beings.
>
>Cant say as I blame them. Every big suit is going to look, and is looking
>, to jump on the "Hey we are the good guys we have open source" band
>wagon.
>
>For an example in history look at the Straight Edge punk movement.
>
>All or nothing, down or out

Actually I think that RMS and Perens both have a valid point. Either the
source is "open" and you are giving it away or you aren't. Simple
distinction. Apple put restrictions on the license saying that they can
revoke the license to use the code. If apple can tell people to stop using
the software then it wasn't a gift, then its not open source. Apple can
make up some new term for it if they like, like the "Improve our software
for free and we'll tell you that you're screwed" license. But its not open
source.

BTW, I don't particularly like the open-source advocates or their slashdot
posting wanna-be minions. I really don't trust people who describe their
job as "Evangelist" unless they work in a church. But for this they have a
point.

Dave

---
David Crook - davec@commwerks.com
CommWerks - Industrial Strength Internet Solutions