[Munchkins] They're here... 2-way text pagers for kids

Rohit Khare (rohit@uci.edu)
Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:25:01 -0800

Well, I suppose this validates one of the diffusion models I've been
mumuring about all this time: aim at cohesive social groups that
physically reform ad-hoc networks on a periodic basis. IETF meetings
are one example: even at only three times a year, folks are
incentivized to invest $300 in wireless ethernet cards -- playgrounds
are at the other (daily frequency x much lower bandwidth). I suspect
high school kids are in the middle: would like cell-phone or
digcam-like bandwidth, and gather at school, at the mall, at games,
and in smaller subcliques. A fine bench test for
ad-hoc-net-marketing: because just like the first fax machines and
first phones, you've got to target a well-interconnected social
subgroup to create value. And worse, while faxes, in particular,
could be sold in pairs across a "universal" phone-net cloud, adhoc
wireless net relays have to be sold in such density as to make an
entire neighborhood online.

Anyway, the technical top-line on this device is that it's the first
tiny-range consumer digital data transceiver I've heard of.
It's gonna be a hit with drug dealers... I wonder if you can hop one
up with PGP -- it's already got simple "password" protection.

And what happens when the first boy lies and boots up a pager in
girl-mode and starts eavesdropping? Or is there a countermeasure
(girl-pagers are only in pink? :-)

The company's product page is attached at the end with [commentary]

Rohit