CAPSLOCK [ was: RE: HTTP, RMI, IIOP, iBus, Infospheres Infrastruc

Joe Barrera (joebar@MICROSOFT.com)
Sun, 11 May 1997 04:31:25 -0700

> From: I Find Karma [SMTP:adam@cs.caltech.edu]
> Today I lost an hour because I accidentally hit some unknown control
> sequence that turned on CAPSLOCK indefinitely. I couldn't figure out
> how to do unlock. This wreaked countless havoc on my unix and emacs
> sessions (yes, I'm using Windows NT as a glorified X server) - ever
try
> to do case sensitive commands when the lowercase is unavailable?

> I rebooted and it still didn't unCAPSLOCK.

1. You wouldn't happen to have a programmable keyboard, would you?
Gateway used to sell their boxes with funky programmable keyboards. When
my son was enough months old to bash on my keyboard, I would find my
machine in the same crippled state. And of course the damn keyboard was
*designed* to remember its programming after reboots.
2. Didn't shift bring you back to lowercase?
3. Just in case you actually want to run gnu-emacs directly on your
Windows NT box, check out
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html. (One of the
first things I did after joining Microsoft was to work on the existing
gnu-emacs-to-Win32 port until I found it usable, e.g., making the
split-window bars be reverse video like they are supposed to be. Geoff
Voelker, as a Microsoft intern, picked up the port and has done a great
job on it.)
4. Moving from Unix to Windows NT is incredibly frustrating, but I
think that's largely because so much is different. I remember *hating*
Unix after moving from VMS. I couldn't believe that there was no EDT
equivalent (and no, vi does not count). I couldn't believe how
brain-dead the mail program was. Etc. Years later, I found myself with
'ls' and 'cd' wired into my fingers, laughing out loud at the login
prompt for Windows NT which requires you to type CTRL-ALT-DEL (which at
the time symbolized everything wrong with Microsoft, namely that you
always had to CTRL-ALT-DEL to get your machine back because Windows was
always crashing)...

- Joe

Joseph S. Barrera III (joebar@microsoft.com)
http://research.microsoft.com/~joebar
Phone, Office: (415) 778-8227; Cellular: (415) 601-3719; Home: (415)
588-4801
Pager (100 char max): 1338993@roam.pagemart.net or (800) 864-8444