Re: Pentium Pro and Pentium II bug

Joe Kiniry (kiniry@cs.caltech.edu)
Mon, 12 May 97 15:25:56 PDT

Robert Harley writes:
> Well Digital's emulation technology is pretty nifty. It just... works,
> rare as that is in this day and age! And it's fast: emulation on AlphaNT
> beats Intel on many Intel-specific benchmarks from serious ones like
> Bapco to PC Magazine crap-o-rama-marks. When I downloaded the emulator
> warez for Linux I said to myself "this can't to live up to the hype"
> but it did! Untar and run.
>
> Anyway, doesn't exist for Solaris.

this is a emulator for running x86 linux elf executables on linux on
alpha?

> There is something to be said for using >= 2 systems though. It
> forces a serious portability (too much beer... can't think of the
> word...) DISCIPLINE on you. Otherwise it is way too easy to fall into
> vendor specific -isms. If you're distributing stuff in pure Java this
> may not be mucho important but if you have bits of C or shell scripts
> it is, as I'm sure you know. Darn, the meagre contributions I've made
> to GNU-ware must even work on PeeCees. That sucks ;)

well, we certainly do stuff in pure java for the majority of our
research now-a-days, but that's not to say that is always the case.
i'm really not concerned about development on multiple platforms for
myself, i've done that enough i know all the ends and outs there in a
big way; what i'm more concerned with is installing, building,
supporting, upgrading A applications * B platforms for C people.

joe