RE: Encryption wars, Intel bugs, and Bill Gates, oh my.

Dan Kohn (dan@teledesic.com)
Thu, 15 May 1997 05:28:07 -0700

I spent several hours talking one on one with Phil Zimmerman in
Edinburgh last week. PGP 5.0 will be released in 8 days, and through
fully backward-compatible, will switch to using the El Gamal
implementation of Diffie-Hellman as its public key algorithms and
Triple DES or CAST as its single key algorithms. It will support DSA
signatures, and has an interface that's supposed to blow away PGPMail
4.5 and everything else you've seen. (Though I'm concerned that they
don't have enough e-mail integration deals yet.)

The new WTO patent rules changed the patent on Diffie-Hellman from
expiring in April 1997 to this September. The RSA algorithms don't
expire until 2000. That's one of the reason's they're changing the
algorithms.

BTW, PGP 5.0 will have cool Web integration: when you generate a key,
it will offer to upload the public key to the MIT key server, and when
you encounter an unknown key, it will offer to search the key server
for you.

Simultaneous release of free version at MIT site and commercial
version (licensed for commercial use) at pgp.com.

- dan