Re: Romeo & Juliet CD

Joseph Kiniry (kiniry@cs.caltech.edu)
Fri, 06 Jun 1997 09:04:06 -0700

At 10:25 AM 6/5/97 -0400, Rohit Khare wrote:
>Anyone else tried shoving it into a CD-ROM drive? I wonder how many other
>CDs are coming out these days with 'stealth' multimedia components?

quite a few. most majors are shipping between 20 and 50 discs a year.

>Yeah, I know about the ballyhooed mixed-mode products, it's just odd that
>they don't advertise this capability. Just a tiny 'enhanced CD' logo from
>RIAA.

yes, this is one of the oft-cited comments about ecds. the manufacturers
seem to firmly believe that the consumer will not only not care about the
multimedia components, but any sort of promotion might actually _scare
folks off_. note that, in this industry, promotion is an all or none
proposition. if they are going to really promote a disc, it is a
multi-million dollar proposition and, for the most part, people are going
to be buying the disc for the tunes, not for the screensaver...

don't joke about those tiny logos; you'd be shocked how much bs you have to
go through to put that tiny riaa logo on the case - don't _even_ ask about
the ecd logo...

>Joe, Yobie, what's the market penetration of this stuff?

do you mean discs/year or cdrom driver/household? :)

mca is looking to ship 10M in the next fiscal year, and they are something
like #5 on the ladder.

joe