Re: The Church of Objectology

Ron Resnick (resnick@interlog.com)
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 00:16:50 +0300

Damn! A crosspost to FoRK and d-o. Always a bad sign.

But I just loved this excellent piece by Rohit Khare, the "RK" of FoRK,
for those on d-o who don't know the master.

I'm guessing here that I'm probably the lead "OO weenie" referred
to here, and that the anonymous pundit is likely Adam Rifkin. If
not, please excuse my narcissism for thinking everything I read
is about me.

This is really good - well written, funny, and deadly accurate :-).
Rohit you *can* write,and you *must* write! I'll buy a copy furshur :-)

For the record though, speaking on defense of the weenie coalition,
or heck, just in my own defense since I'm getting tired on speaking
for populations who probably all think I'm crazy by now, here's
a reaction:

I'm not really an object weenie. Not in the 'polymorphism, inheritance,
yackety yack' sense anyway. Not even particularly in the design
pattern sense. I *do* believe in components - well encapsulated chunks
of functionality that exhibit queriable semantic interfaces, discoverable
and usable at runtime. I know that we're evolving that way on the object
side - I also know (or at least take your word for it) that XML will
do the same on the document side. I've said this many times before:
I'd never argue objects have to win because documents can't do it -
either is potentially computationally powerful enough, or can certainly
evolve to becoming that. All I'm arguing is that given my druthers, I'd
rather see a 'clean' model win than a 'dirty' one - it'll just make life
simpler afterwards.

In addition to components, I also believe in aggregations of them:
groups, places,sessions, compound documents, frameworks, collections,
aggregates, unions, sets, bundles, gatherings, compositions, whatever
you want to call them. You guys believe in this too. And, we all believe
that these are distributed collections. And, we all know that distribution
is a whole other kettle of fish. So, we're all going to need tools to
handle it. Multicast. Reliable multicasts. Guaranteed delivery. Atomicity.
Failure detections. Partition handling. This stuff has nothing to do
with whether you're an object freak or a webnut. We all will need it.
We also need other things - security, authentication, encryption,
persistence, caching and a pile more.

I've tried to look at some of 'your' docs - specifically the XML & PEP
RFCs. You'll agree that they're not necessarily the most user friendly.
I'm glad Adam has a 'friendlier' XML page -that helps a lot. It would
be great if someone on 'your' side would do the same for PEP.
I'm willing to be converted from my objects and my Java church, if
someone can clearly show me the error in my ways. I've done it
before - I'm no longer a CORBAhead. But I still don't see your
side well enough to cross over, not by a long shot. Just as an
example of the kind of basic stuff that I don't 'get' : how the heck
do you propose to build 'smart' 'active' documents - ones that
actually contain code, and are computationally equivalent to an
object. You know - for loops, if statements, variable declarations,
that kind of thing. If you're going to tell me CGI or <OBJECT> tags,
I'm not impressed, unless you show me why I need to build
a Java object, and stick it in a <OBJECT> tag inside of a doc, instead
of just using the sucker directly as a bean?

Ron

At 12:44 PM 6/10/97 -0400, Rohit Khare wrote:
>A pundit recently asked me about ideas for a pontification session
>aimed at some OO weenies. I decided to offer some bland, tangential
>points --
>
>>What would I say to rile up OOheads, as a recovering OOer myself?
>>Well,
>>learning from the split between FoRK and dist-obj, the best attack is
>>to sow doubt about their entire religion.

Ron aside - Sorry, had to butt in here. I wouldn't refer to it as a 'split'.
Let's just say FoRK and dist-obj both are vibrant social organisms,
serving different communities with different interests. There happens
to be a large number of people subscribed to both lists, which
creates a certain
amount of confusion. Also, the creation of dist-obj was originally
inspired by the existence of FoRK. I would fondly consider FoRK
to be d-o's "big older brother". Personally, I love being on both, and
will continue to be active on both
(to the chagrin of people universally, I'm sure).

All together now, in harmony, on both lists: "_SHUT _ UP _ RON _ !!"