RE: Techno

Joe Barrera (joebar@MICROSOFT.com)
Sat, 14 Jun 1997 22:41:24 -0700

I have a lot of suggestions but I don't know if you'd like them. I'm
more into the dark industrial psychotic sound that sometimes approaches
techno. And a lot less into pop - e.g. the first place I had even heard
of the Spice Girls was this list. (I'm spoiled by being able to pick up
KFJC again.) Another problem is that I'm pretty bad with music
categories. I'm not sure what even counts as techno these days. But here
goes:

"Bites & Remission" by Skinny Puppy is a classic that should be in your
collection.

"Manipulated" by Gravity Kills is pretty fun and dark and beat-ridden.
It's also the thing in this list I bought most recently, so you ought to
be able to find it.

"IBTABA" by Wire is pretty beat-full as well.

For historical perspective you should get some late Throbbing Gristle
stuff, or what they split into, namely Chris & Cosey and Psychic TV.

I like some of Cabaret Voltaire's stuff, like "Plasticity" and (I think)
"Red Mecca" (the latter is on vinyl, and all my vinyl is at work, and
I'm at home).

BTW Can you pick up KSPC (Claremont) in Pasadena? They used to place
good stuff when I was at Mudd.

- Joe

Joseph S. Barrera III (joebar@microsoft.com)
http://research.microsoft.com/~joebar
Phone, Office: (415) 778-8227; Cellular: (415) 601-3719; Home: (415)
588-4801