Re: Prisoner of cyberspace

Lloyd Wood (eep1lw@surrey.ac.uk)
Tue, 12 May 1998 23:39:12 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 12 May 1998, Joachim Feise wrote:

[Joe brags about state-of-the-art equipment at Microsoft Research]
> What programs are that? Clock and similar hi-tech tools? I meant
> *real* programs, like desktop publishing stuff. I ran Ventura on
> GEM. At that time, MS didn't know about swapping yet. Even Win3 did
> not swap on 286 machines. Not that it was not possible. AFAIK,
> Unix/Xenix implementations worked fine on 286 with swapping.

Eh?

I've spent a decade under the obviously misguided impression that bugs
in 286 memory management eliminated real operating systems from the
market, leaving the field clear for that Windows application
thing.

Xenix would run on a 286? How was VM implemented?

> The guys who wrote Windows just didn't know how to do
> it, they rather relied on the hardware paging in the 386.

...where memory management was redressed somewhat.

L.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.sat-net.com/L.Wood/>+44-1483-300800x3641