Spammers are ripping off your site

Ron Resnick (resnick@interlog.com)
Wed, 13 May 1998 10:47:54 -0400

TO:
- Anthony Ingallinella -
Internic listed Admin&Billing contact for executiveguild.com

- Paul Willies, website designer of executiveguild.com
and Internic listed Technical Contact for executiveguild.com

CC:

- S.E, Nezle, spammer, none60@JUNO.COM, P.O Box 145567
Dallas, TX 75244 US, Phone (817) 772-7772, Internic
listed contact for cyberdue.com domain. Phone number
is almost certainly bogus, as is name. PO Box may be real,
but what can you do with that?

- A mailing list full of people who seem to enjoy tons of junk
in their inboxes, so won't mind one more.

- info@coder.com, contact email at Prescient Code of Ithaca NY,
the providers of the Mailform utility.

SUBJECT:

I just got an ANNOYING spam mail, included below, ripping
off Executiveguild.com, using Prescient Code (coder.com)'s
Mailform utitlity (without their knowledge).

DETAILS:

Following the link provided in the spam-mail -
http://www.cyberdue.com/whoswho/apply.html
shows that it is a copy of your page
http://www.executiveguild.com/apply.html

It would
appear to be someone ripping off your "Executive Guild" website
in order to collect information from gullible persons, presumably
to resell it or target these suckers with yet further spam. What
made this spam interesting was (a) its pitch is seductive
enough to follow the link (b) they're stupid enough to have
left enough hints on the forged page to allow easily tracking
back to the legitimate site being duped.

Your cgi script
<FORM method="post"
action="http://executiveguild.com/cgi-bin/mailpost.exe/appform.txt">

Is replaced by

<FORM ACTION=http://www.coder.com/code/mailform/mailform.pl.cgi
METHOD=POST>

coder.com is a legitimate site, and offers a free mailform
processing cgi script (see http://www.coder.com/code/mailform/)
which "is targeted for people who do not have access to CGI scripts
on their site."
They claim that "users must register their email address. This is to
prevent people from exploiting this service to send anonymous email. "
Nonetheless, it seems that their tool is indeed being
exploited by these cyberdue jerks. I'm cc'ing this to
info@coder.com so that they can delete the bozo with ID "Who_3abe"
as in:
<INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME=MAILFORM_ID VALUE="Who_3abe">

I am presuming here that ExecutiveGuild are the innocents being duped,
which is why I'm telling you nicely. Then again, your
service looks pretty dubious to me too - simply inviting people
to add information about themselves to your database - uuggh.
What do YOU do with the info? Where are YOUR disclaimers about
who you resell your database to? Don't expect anyone but
suckers to sign up with that kind of pitch.

Regards,
Ron Resnick (resnick@interlog.com)

Anyway, here's the spam I got, complete with headers: